Party Policies on Animals
Currently 330 MPs
The Conservative manifesto has two paragraphs on animal issues – on page 55.
The manifesto says that the Conservatives will:
- ‘push for higher animal welfare standards to be incorporated into international trade agreements’
- ‘ban wild animals in circuses’
- ‘press for all EU member states to ensure that animals are only sent to slaughterhouses that meet high welfare standards’
- ‘encourage other countries to follow the EU’s lead in banning animal testing for cosmetics’
- ‘work to accelerate the global development and take-up of alternatives to animal testing where appropriate’
- ‘protect methods of slaughter such as shechita and halal’
- ‘continue to lead the world in stopping the poaching that kills thousands of rhinos, elephants and tigers each year’
- ‘oppose any resumption of commercial whaling and seek further measures… to end shark finning’
- ‘press for a total ban on ivory sales’
- ‘press for full “endangered species” status for polar bears’
What it doesn’t say: the Conservatives want to overturn the hunting ban and roll out the badger cull across the country. The Party has issued a disappointing and error-riddled response to our five election campaigns issues. Read it here.